I have been regularly watching television for the past two months and there are these questions that I have wondered about for a long time and finally can put them on here..
1. The death sentence of Ajmal Kasab :
People were shown rejoicing and publicly expressing happiness for this person’s impending death by the gallows. I might ruffle some feathers here.. But rejoicing, seriously?
Ajmal Kasab is a terrorist. He was sent on a SUICIDE mission to India. Whether he dies by a police bullet or by the gallows, how does it help the pain? So much effort, so many sessions in the court, so much comedy from Kasab, such huge wastage of money behind a terrorist..Was it really worth rejoicing?
2. Jessica Lal Murder Trial :
Following is the chronology of events in the Jessica Lal murder case: (courtesy rediff.com)
- April 29-30 1999: Jessica shot at a party in Qutub Colonnade restaurant in south Delhi
- April 30, 1999: Doctors at Apollo Hospital declare Jessica brought dead.
- May 2, 1999: Delhi Police recovers Tata Safari car belonging to Manu Sharma, son of Haryana Congress leader Venod Sharma, from Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- May 6, 1999: Manu surrenders before a court in Chandigarh. Subsequently 10 other co-accused, including Vikas Yadav, son of UP politician D P Yadav, arrested.
- August 3, 1999: Chargesheet filed against accused for killing Jessica under various sections of IPC.
- January 31, 2000: Magistrate court commits the case to a Sessions court for trial.
- November 23, 2000: Sessions court frames charges for murder against nine persons and discharges one accused, Amit Jhingan, while declaring Ravinder Sudan alias Titu as proclaimed offender.
- May 2, 2001: Court starts recording of prosecution evidence. Deepak Bhojwani, an eye witness deposes before the trial court.
- May 3, 2001: Complainant and eye witness Shyan Munshi turns hostile and fails to identify Manu in court.
- May 5, 2001: Another eye witness Shiv Das, an electrician at Qutub Colonnade, turns hostile.
- May 16, 2001: Third key witness Karan Rajput turns hostile.
- July 6, 2001: Malini Ramani, eyewitness, identifies Manu.
- October 12, 2001: Socialite Bina Ramani, owner of the restaurant and bar, identifies Manu.
- October 17, 2001: George Mailhot, Ramani’s Canadian husband, deposes and identifies Manu.
- July 20, 2004: Surinder Sharma, controversial investigating officer in the case, deposes after returning from UN assignment in Kosovo.
- February 21, 2006: Trial court acquits all nine accused due to lack of evidence against them.
- March 13, 2006: Delhi Police file appeal in the high court.
- October 3, 2006: High Court begins hearing on appeal on a day-to-day basis.
- November 29, 2006: High Court reserves its verdict.
- December 18, 2006: High Court convicts Manu, Vikas Yadav and Amardeep Singh Gill alias Tony and acquits Aloke Khanna, Vikas Gill, Harvinder Singh Chopra, Raja Chopra, Shyam Sunder Sharma and Yograj Singh.
- December 20, 2006: High Court awards life imprisonment term to main convict Manu Sharma with a fine of Rs 50,000 and also sentences co-convicts Amardeep Singh Gill and Vikas Yadav to four years’ prison term with Rs 3,000 fine each.
- February 2, 2007: Manu Sharma appeals in the Supreme Court.
- March 8, 2007: Supreme Court admits Manu Sharma’s appeal.
- November 27, 2007: Supreme Court rejects Manu Sharma’s bail plea.
- May 12, 2008: Supreme Court again rejects Manu Sharma’s bail plea.
- January 19, 2010: Supreme Court commences hearing on Manu Sharma’s appeal.
- February 18, 2010: Supreme Court reserves verdict on the appeal of Manu Sharma.
- April, 2010 : SC upholds Manu’s life sentence.
It took 11 years of running around in circles, from the sessions court to the supreme court to decide on the life sentence of a stupid man who shot a model for the sake of a drink. Not withstanding crores and crores of rupees that were spent and reserved as bribe. We might also be able to sight Mr.Sharma enjoying his life sentence in a disco in Delhi on some lucky day…
How trivial can matters of the court get? And then we still rejoice in our faith in the system?
I do not deny that matters of the court, take time. But eleven years just makes a small crime look special because of the involvement of the media. There are several such cases happening on EVERYDAY basis somewhere or the other. And if this has taken eleven years, by the time the smaller, lesser known cases come to a judgement, the accused will already be dead. 😛
3. Dhoni blaming IPL parties for poor performance in T20 World Cup
This one is hilarious. When we get injured we skip matches, but when it comes to booze and woman, how can we stay indoors and prepare for our matches? I empathise with you Dhoni. A better blame could be that we did not get enough pay for the T20 world cup, unlike the IPL matches. Strange.
4. Mamata Banerjee not being interested in the Railway Union strike.
I can compare Mamata Banerjee to Clint Eastwood in a Fistful of Dollars. The Stranger that she is, everything that she says and does is to put the Government and the people to battle and she herself enjoying the peace and ofcourse the money. My question here though is, Does Mamata have no “mamta” towards the vagaries of the people who majorly constitute her Railway portfolio? (I imagine the blank face staring at me and saying, “we bhill look into da matther”) . Jeez.
5. Media exhibiting celebrity “tweets”
Jack Dorsey’s baby has hit the Indian audience left, right and center most importantly. From Lalit Modi’s emotions on the IPL controversy to today’s Mangalore aircraft empathies, like fools our media channels have been showing celebrity tweets to prove how much our celebrities care about the country.
Question here would be, should the media stop broadcasting live feeds and just tweet about the latest happenings in the world?
6. Extras :
– Pakistan bans Youtube, Facebook, Twitter,Orkut and soon GTalk. Lets ban polygamy,cricket and finally,’living ‘next?
– Rakhi Sawant publicly apologised to Abhishek and his mother on a dance reality shows. Jeez, cant you stay single for just a month?
– Question in the next CAT paper .. Sania Mirza wed Shoaib Mallik . Shoaib handed over millions to his apparent “fat yet cute” ex wife. Logically then,
a> Sania Mirza handed over millions to Shoaib’s ex wife?
b> Shoaib Mallik was married to a “fat yet cute” wife?
c> Sania Mirza and “fat cute wife” are secretly married to each other?
d> All of these
e> All but none of these.
– “Kites” was released yesterday.. Another day of hype and would’ve started singing.. “Zindagi do pal ki… Intezaar kab tak.. Hum kare movie ka? ” 😛
Strange, I say. Very.